This is contributed by a guest blogger sharing her story about her 1st Serious Boyfriend...
I didn't have a lot of ones before the one. I got married pretty young, at 23, to someone I started dating my senior year of college. At the time, it didn't seem young to be getting married, but looking back now, several years later, it seems ridiculously young! Before my husband, I had two serious boyfriends and a handful of other dates. Serious Boyfriend #1 I met right after I graduated from high school. Even though I was 18, I was pretty naive when it came to relationships. I never had a boyfriend in high school. Then I met "the one who wore a lot of sweater vests." He was the cutest guy I had ever seen in person. Just my type, dark hair, dark eyes, athletic build. He was a textbook horrible boyfriend, but I was too young to see any of the warning signs.
Warning Sign #1- He was an only child. I'm not saying every only child is the same, but when it's a guy, you can almost bet that he has some mommy issues. This particular one's mom was the spitting image of Cruella DeVille. All she needed was a coat made from puppies. She might have even had one, who knows. I was scared sh*tless of this woman and probably still would be to this day if I saw her.
Warning Sign #2- The sweater vests. I am not opposed to sweater vests in general, but if a guy wears them pretty much every day, it can turn into a problem. If he pairs the sweater vests with a variety of gold bracelets and/or pinkie rings, RUN. You know how certain things can trigger associated memories? Like if you smell your mom's perfume it can take you back to your childhood? Well, if I see someone wearing a sweater vest, I get the distinct feeling I'm being cheated on, which can cause some awkward moments for me with strangers.
Warning Sign #3- When he played golf, it took like 10 hours. I would wait all day on a Saturday for him to call, or to make plans, or so we could go out. I didn't realize that a round of golf takes like 4.5 hours, tops. Ladies, if a round of golf takes longer than that, your man is probably up to no good!
Warning Sign #4- He wanted to name his future son "Junior." Not "His Own Name, Jr." just "Junior."
Warning Sign #5- He found the Austin Powers movies to be highly--I mean, HIGHLY--entertaining.
Warning Sign #6- His taste in music. Shortly after I met him, he told me he was probably "the blackest white kid ever." Why that wasn't a red flag to me, I'll never know. On our first date, he made me listen to the full-length version of "Rapper's Delight" while he "rapped" along. As time went on, I knew in my heart that this kid and I were on two different planets. He couldn't go a week without lying to me or cheating on me. But, I was young and stupid and got back together with him several times. One time, when I was desperately trying to connect with him on some level, I asked him to tell me what song meant the most to him. After thinking seriously for a long time, he replied, "Bust a Move." Game over.
Though this guy hurt me a lot as an 18-year-old, he grew to become sort of a cartoonish figure in my life as the years went on. We went to the same college and had a lot of the same friends. He dated girls I knew and I always tried to subtly warn them without seeming like a crazy ex-girlfriend. When my husband and I first got married, he was working in our city but living about an hour away. Sometimes he would stay out too late and party too hard and wind up crashing in our guest room. Over time, I just kind of felt sorry for him as he went from relationship to relationship, getting fatter and balder all the way. Eventually, he got married, moved away, and had a kid. From what I hear, his wayward tendencies haven't changed. For her sake and his kids' sake, I hope eventually he finds a way to change.
He was also "the one before the one I thought was the one...but definitely wasn't the one." More on that to come.
***If this guest blogger would have given up on finding the one after this one, I wouldn't be able to call her my sister-in-law today.***
***If this guest blogger would have given up on finding the one after this one, I wouldn't be able to call her my sister-in-law today.***



No comments:
Post a Comment